Frequently Asked Questions
We get a lot of questions about our company, our books and about our publishing processes. On this page, we gathered all our frequently asked questions along with the answers. We hope you find what you need.
For Readers | For Agents | For Press | For Festivals and Events | For Authors | For Translators | For Lawyers | For Jobs
If I pre-order, when will I receive my order?Your pre-ordered book will be shipped as soon as the book is published. For each title available for pre-order you can see the approximate publication date. As soon as we have shipped your order, you will receive an e-mail.
Do you ship internationally?
Yes, we do. International shipping costs may vary depending on destination, but it usually costs around £5. You can see the price when you type your address at check-out.
What's your return policy?
While we hope you never want to return a book, we are, of course, happy to accept returns of any books that you've ordered incorrectly or if there are any defects. Please send an e-mail to email@example.com for details.
Are your authors available for interview?
It depends on the individual person, but usually our authors are more than happy to do interviews. Contact our marketing manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you send out review copies?
Yes, we do. If you would like to be taken into consideration for commissioned reviews, please contact email@example.com.
Where can I get updated on company news?
For Festivals & Events
I want to go to one of your events. What should I do?
The date, time and location of the event will be listed on our Events Page. If the event is ticketed, it will say so. Unless the event-text says otherwise, you can buy tickets at the door.
Who do I contact if I am organizing a festival?
Get in touch with our marketing manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you accept e-mail manuscripts?
No, unfortunately we are unable to accept digital submissions. Any manuscript submitted only in digital form will not be considered for publication.
What should I include when I submit my manuscript?
When submitting a manuscript, you must include:
- A concise but comprehensive synopsis of your piece of work (1-2 sides of A4 maximum). We need a full synopsis including endings / spoilers.
- The first 30 pages or three short stories as an example of your style of writing.
- A cover letter which should explain why you believe your writing sits comfortably with the Parthian list, and what additionality and breadth it offers the list, and your publishing history to date, if you have one, including any related bursaries, residencies and prizes.
- A self-addressed envelope (SAE) with the appropriate postage if you'd like us to return your submission or an email address to contact you at.
- If you are sending short stories please also note where you have had stories published in journals, magazines, websites and anthologies of note / or placed highly in competitions and the dates.
Should I send you the entire manuscript?
No, we only want the first 30 pages. If you send us your entire manuscript, we will only read the first 30 pages and judge you accordingly.
What should I include in the cover letter?
In the cover letter, you should describe your motivation for writing the manuscript, give some brief biographic information, detail your previous publishing history (if relevant), and describe why you think your manuscript matches Parthian's publishing profile and what makes it new.
What should I include in the synopsis?
The synopsis should describe the entire plot of your book, including the ending and spoilers. We will read all submissions - you should not use your synopsis to entice us.
Which address should I send my manuscript to?
You must send your manuscript to:
22 Keir Hardie,
Swansea University, Singleton Park
Swansea, SA2 8PP
Can I submit more than one manuscript at a time?
No. Please only send us one manuscript at a time.
When will I get a reply to my submission?
We will try to get back to you as fast as possible, and we aim to respond to all submissions within 12 weeks. However, during busy periods or over the festive / summer office holidays this can take longer.
Do you accept poetry submissions?
Yes, we would love to read your poetry! But please note that we publish only a small amount of poetry each year. We expect prospective poets for our list to have:
- Built up a track record of publication in quality magazines such as Acumen, Ambit, Bare Fiction, Compass, Envoi, Iota, Ink, Sweat & Tears, Magma, Mslexia, Other Poetry, Planet, P N Review, Poetry London, Poetry Review, Poetry Scotland, Poetry Wales, Poetry Ireland, Shearsman, The Interpreter's House, The Rialto, The London Magazine, The North, Poetry Salzburg, The Lampeter Review, The London Review of Books, The Lonely Crowd, Tears in the Fence, The Times Literary Supplement, Wales Arts Review (But there are many more we like, too many to list here, you know who you are!)
- And / or to have placed highly in national / international competitions
- And / or to have published a pamphlet with a well-respected small publisher.
- And / or to have read/ performed their work at several key arts / literary festivals and events.
We do not publish poetry pamphlets.
What should I include with my poetry submission?
If you want us to consider publishing your collection, you should:
- Include an up-to-date biography, detailing your publishing/awards history to date.
- Include a poetry sampler of around 15-20 poems. The sampler should provide a clear indication of themes and approaches, and be representative of the overall quality of your work.
- An SAE with the appropriate postage if you'd like us to return your submission or an email address to contact you at.
Do you accept genre fiction?
No, we currently don't accept genre fiction. However, if you have a piece of crime fiction or fantasy that you think we would be interested in, contact our Creative Director Richard Davies at email@example.com
Do you publish Children's Fiction or YA?
No, we do not publish Children's Fiction or YA. If you have a children's fiction or YA manuscript, our partner publisher Firefly Press may be interested.
Do you accept submissions from agents?
Yes, we do. Please follow the guidelines listed in the section 'For Authors.'
Do you publish translations?
Yes, we love publishing translations. Contact us if you've discovered a text that you want us to consider, but please keep our publishing profile in mind. You can see what types of translated works we have previously published at Europa Carnivale.
Do you commission translations?
Yes! Send us a sample following the submission guidelines listed in the section 'For Authors.'
Who should I contact about rights enquiries?
All rights enquiries should be adressed to Nikki Griffiths at firstname.lastname@example.org
Does Parthian Books take interns?
Yes, we love working with interns and we are usually very flexible in structuring internships and work experience to fit the individual's need.
We currently have one internship opportunity available for January 2019. If you are interested, please send your resume to email@example.com.
You can read about the experiences of our current and past interns at our Interns' Blog.